Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by Steve
I recently tried to add a Google map to one of the web sites that I was designing and thought the only way to do it was to use a dedicated plugin like Google Maps Easy, and WP Google Map Plugin.
Come to find out that’s not the only way. Granted using a dedicated plugin to add the map has some advantages because it offers more features. Most people don’t need those extra features and the added bloat of adding yet another plugin to their WordPress site.
For people like me who just want a quick, easy way to add a Google Map to their website without the bloat of installing another WordPress plugin please read on as I will let you know how to do that.
What is Google Map?
Google Maps is a Web-based service that provides detailed information about geographical regions and sites around the world. In addition to conventional road maps, Google Maps offers aerial and satellite views of many places. In some cities, Google Maps offers street views comprising photographs taken from vehicles.
Google Maps offers several services as part of the larger Web application, as follows.
- A route planner offers directions for drivers, bikers, walkers, and users of public transportation who want to take a trip from one specific location to another.
- The Google Maps application program interface (API) makes it possible for Web site administrators to embed Google Maps into a proprietary site such as a real estate guide or community service page.
- Google Maps for Mobile offers a location service for motorists that utilizes the Global Positioning System (GPS) location of the mobile device (if available) along with data from wireless and cellular networks.
- Google Street View enables users to view and navigate through horizontal and vertical panoramic street level images of various cities around the world.
- Supplemental services offer images of the moon, Mars, and the heavens for hobby astronomers.
Embedding a Google Map
You can embed a Google Map into your WordPress site using the following instructions:
In Google Map
Step One: Visit Google Maps.
Step Two: Type in any street address or geographic location and click the Search button
Step Three: Select Share
Step Four: Popup will appear, as illustrated below. Embed a map and copy the code from the box. The code will begin with
Step Five: In the WordPress Block Editor edit the page or post you want to add the Google Map to
Step Six: Add a new Custom HTML Block
Step Seven: Paste the Embed code you copied from your Google Map
If you are using the Classic Editor, you can switch to the HTML tab in the editor to paste the Embed code. Here is an example of what the embedded map will look like. In this example I used the embed code in a footer widget.
As you can see embedding a Google map is pretty easy. The advantage of embedding a Google map without the use of a plugin is less load and bloat added to your blog. You can add as many maps as you want throughout your entire site using this method. Hope this tutorial helped you out.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Be the first to know about our latest posts, tips, tricks, promotions, sales and tutorials on WordPress! Delivered to your inbox once a week, no spam!