Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by Steve
What is WinSCP?
WinSCP (Windows Secure Copy) is an open source SecureFTP client for Windows. It allows secure file transfers between the client’s local computer and the remote server.
The WinSCP software uses cryptographical methods, integrated in SSH to protect your login details and private information. It prevents different types of attacks like password sniffing and malicious monitoring of the sessions between your local computer and the remote server.
The software can be downloaded from the following URL.
You can easily use this tool to upload and transfer files to any remote server including shared or virtual private machine.
- Graphical user interface
- Translated into many languages
- Integration with Windows
- All common operations with files
- Support for SFTP and SCP protocols over SSH and FTP and WebDAV and S3 protocols
- Batch file scripting and command-line interface and .NET assembly for advanced programming tasks
- Directory synchronization in several semi or fully automatic ways
- Integrated text editor
- Shares site settings with PuTTY
- Support for password, keyboard-interactive, public key and Kerberos (GSS) authentication
- Integrates with Pageant (PuTTY authentication agent) for full support of public key authentication with SSH
- Explorer and Commander interfaces
- Optionally protects stored site information with master password
- Optionally supports portable operation using a configuration file in place of registry entries, suitable for operation from removable media
Connecting to your account with WinSCP
Once ready, open the WinSCP program you installed. It will automatically open a new window named Login where you will be prompted to provide login information about the location you want to connect to. In that window fill in the following:
- File Protocol – choose SFTP from the drop-down;
- Host Name – the hostname of the server on which your account is located. Domain name or IP address of VPS
- Port number – 22
- User name – your username for VPS
- Password – your password for VPS
When ready press the Login button to connect to your account.
You will be prompted to add the identity of the target server to the cache, click the Yes button to not see this warning in the future.
That’s it. You are now connected to your account and you can see all files and folders on it on the right side panel. On the left side panel you can find all the files and folders on your computer.
Uploading and downloading files via SCP
If you want to use WinSCP to upload files or folders on your hosting account you just need to navigate to the desired file or folder on the left side panel, right click on the item you want to upload and click Upload -> Upload.
It is very easy to also download data from your hosting account to your machine. Just navigate to the location of the file or folder you want to download from the right side panel, right click the desired item and select Download -> Download.
That’s all you need to connect to and upload files to any Best WP VPS or shared hosting account. Depending on VPS purchased cPanel or other suitable control panel comes preinstalled. These control panels have file manager that also has file upload and download capabilities and can be used instead of WinSCP if preferred.
Hope you found this article helpful.